Why not try something different in the kitchen this week? Here’s a traditional Romanian recipe for Transylvanian Beef and Vegetable Soup from YMCA fitness instructor Alex. 😋
Category: Main meal
Serves: 10-12 Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: approx. 3 hours
Cuisine: Romanian | Calories: 300 kcal
- 600 g beef for soup
- 3 carrots, cubed
- 1 parsnip, cubed
- 1 stick of celery, cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 150 g peas (fresh or frozen)
- 150 g green bean pods (fresh or frozen)
- 300 ml tomato sauce (puree) or homemade broth
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil (to soften the carrot)
- 1 sprig of dried thyme (optional)
- fresh parsley
- sour cream for serving
- lemon juice or vinegar (optional)
Method of preparation
- Rinse the beef in water and cut it into cubes.
- Boil it in a pot with plenty of water.
- The beef should be boiled for 1.5-2 hours until tender.
- While the meat is boiling, check on it every so often to remove the foam that forms on the surface with a spoon.
- When the beef has boiled, remove it from the pot, rinse well under cold running water.
- Strain the water and juices in which the beef was boiled and transfer this liquid to a clean pot.
- Cook the carrot over a low heat for a few minutes with a tablespoon of oil to soften and give a sweet and pleasant taste.
- Into the clean pot in which you added the strained cooking liquid, put the parsnip, celery, and softened carrot and the dried thyme sprig.
- Alow to simmer for about 20 minutes. Then place the beef, finely chopped onion and diced potatoes in the pot.
- Let the beef soup boil for 15 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt to your liking.
- Add the peas, green beans and tomato sauce (puree). Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- After about ten minutes, add freshly chopped parsley and serve the beef soup in bowls with a spoonful of sour cream. Bon appetit!